Many people think that addiction happens due to someone being careless with the consumption of substances that are known to have a risk of addiction, as though it is basic irresponsibility. Unfortunately, some circumstances can throw a typically sober person into an addiction, such as surgery forcing a person to take pain pills for a non-recreational reason. This can also make it difficult to catch the addiction as it begins to form as the signs of opioid addiction aren’t always as blatant as other substances, such as alcohol or heroin. However, with the proper support from addiction treatment professionals, recovery is possible for those who are ready to enhance their health and well-being.
At Rockland Recovery, our team believes that an opioid addiction treatment program can make all the difference in someone’s recovery. If you or someone you care about is stuck in the endless cycle of opioid addiction and is ready to make a change, contact our team at Rockland Recovery. Reach out to us today to learn about our opioid addiction treatment program by calling 855.732.4842 or filling out our online form. Our team is standing by to help get your recovery journey started.
What Are Opioids?
Opioids are a type of medication prescribed for pain relief, usually for a significant injury or surgery. Two of the noticeable effects of the medication are:
- Pain relief
- Dizziness (a euphoric high)
Both of these physical reactions are enticing for people seeking legitimate pain relief, self-medication, or high. Since the purpose of an opioid is to induce a lot of these symptoms, it can be easy to overlook the signs of an opioid addiction-forming.
Signs of Opioid Addiction
Due to the qualities of opioids, they are physically addicting as well as mentally, and an unexpected event can put a person in a position to form the addiction even if they have never struggled with substance abuse. After a certain amount of time has passed, a dependence is likely to form when the need for the medication has passed, such as minor surgery. Common signs of opioid addiction to monitor can include:
- Inability to regulate medication use
- Unquenchable cravings for the medication
- Chronic drowsiness
- Inconsistent sleep
- Weight loss
- Chronic flu-like symptoms (nausea, constipation, etc.)
- Decreased libido
- Decreased interest in hobbies, particularly physical activities
- Financial troubles and related issues (such as stealing)
Since it is expected that someone on pain medication is tired, thus be less active and sleepier, it takes an attentive observer to notice where a line may be crossed into addiction.
What Can Be Done?
If you notice one or more signs of opioid addiction, it may be worth considering that you or a loved one is facing dependency. There are a few options to choose, from here:
- Taper off: Though it leads to the least amount of suffering from withdrawals, the inability to regulate taking medication can make this method near impossible once an addiction is formed.
- Cold turkey: Often difficult due to the physical withdrawal symptoms of opioids, including constipation, irritability, pain sensitivity, nausea, and more. Unless the issues that led to the addiction are addressed, the risk of relapse is high.
- Substance abuse treatment: In a controlled environment, professional addiction specialists determine the best path to substance removal and coach healthy habits in place of unhealthy ones while addressing the root of addictive behaviors. Often this has the highest long-term success rate due to the teaching of sober living habits.
Dealing With the Signs of Opioid Addiction at Rockland Recovery
Rockland Recovery has two sober-living facilities (Rockland and Dorchester, MA) available to tend to all traditional recovery needs as well as offer assistance with related issues such as family counseling, work communication, and legal services. They even offer employment-search assistance for those seeking employment if needed.
Standard general services offered at Rockland Recovery include:
- Single-, double-, and triple-occupancy
- Structured sober environment
- Drug and alcohol testing
- Life skills support
- 12-Step guidance
- South shore recovery community network
- Resources for sober relationship networking
- New and well-kept furnishings
- On-site management
- Work, school, and community service referrals
- Accountability management
- Scholarship opportunities are even available for those interested
Choose Rockland Recovery for Opioid Addiction Rehab in Boston, Massachusetts
Opioid addiction affects people from all walks of life across the country. For most people, it is nearly impossible to overcome opioid addiction without the support and care from an experienced team of addiction specialists and medical personnel. At Rockland Recovery, we have years of experience helping people begin their recovery journey.
If you think that you or someone you care about may be presenting the signs of opioid addiction, reach out to the experts at Rockland Recovery. We have helped many people overcome addiction and embrace recovery, and we can do the same for you. Contact us online or call us at 855.732.4842 to get started on the admissions process.