Addiction can have a devastating effect on a person’s health and relationships. Watching someone go through a substance use disorder can be very taxing, both physically and emotionally. While a client’s loved ones may have the best of intentions, they may still be ill-equipped to handle the needs of someone in detox and recovery. In cases such as this, finding a Massachusetts family program center is the best option to learn how to give your loved one the right support and guidance through this trying period in their life.
At Rockland Recovery, we believe that lasting recovery is relational and should involve the client’s family and friends. If you have questions about navigating your loved one’s recovery from addiction, contact us at 855.732.4842 today. Our friendly and experienced staff are ready to help you find the family program that is best for you.
What Is a Family Addiction Program?
A family addiction program is a form of group therapy program that involves a mental health professional, the client undergoing treatment for addiction, and the client’s loved ones. These sessions are not just there to support the family during recovery but also to educate them on how to properly support the client.
Here are a few topics that may be discussed in a family addiction program:
- The role that the family may have had in the development of the client’s addiction
- What addiction does to a person’s brain and body and how this can cause destructive behaviors
- The effects that the addiction has had on the client’s relationships with his loved ones
- How to build an effective support network for the client, both within the family unit and outside of the home
- How to effectively communicate, both with the client and with each other
- How each member of the family can effectively set and maintain the necessary boundaries
- How to avoid relapses by being aware of the client’s triggers and how to deal with them should they occur
A family program for addiction recovery can have many benefits, including an opportunity for everyone to begin to heal.
What Are the 5 Benefits of a Family Program?
Addiction doesn’t happen in a vacuum. In the same vein, recovery would not be effective without healing the connections that the addiction may have damaged. Including a family program in an addiction treatment plan can help ensure that the client has a stable, supportive family unit that can help them with their recovery.
The impact of a family program can be immeasurable. Here are the most common benefits of a family program:
- Family members can understand how addiction works and what it does to someone’s brain function and behavior, leaving less room for misunderstanding and hurt feelings.
- Family members can learn how to give the client the right kind of support without enabling any negative behaviors that can be detrimental to the client’s recovery.
- A family program can help the client mend broken relationships with their loved ones. Family members can learn how to communicate more effectively, reducing stress and conflict in the home.
- It can help the family navigate various systems that may have been affected by the client’s substance abuse, like the justice and school systems.
- Family members can develop skills and techniques to help the client through their treatment and during their new sober life.
Family support is an essential component of the recovery process. An effective family program will help you rebuild your relationships, boundaries, and confidence in each other.
Find a Family Program in Massachusetts at Rockland Recovery
Watching someone you love go through addiction is not something you can always prepare for, and most people are ill-equipped to handle the situation when it arises. Finding the right addiction treatment and family program is the best way to help both you and your loved one through this trying time. Rockland Recovery in Weymouth, Massachusetts, is here to help. Call us at 855.732.4842 today to learn more about what we can offer. You can also fill out our online form and let us get back to you.