For many families, a loved one entering recovery can cause great stress and upheaval. Relationships can become stressed, and the family can get pulled apart, causing a difficult home life that is not conducive to sobriety. Family members often have many questions about how to best support their loved one without enabling a return to use. Family addiction treatment programs help arm a client’s entire family with the knowledge and tools required to provide a good foundation for recovery. These types of programs can often improve the client’s relationships with the people closest to them, which greatly benefits their long-term emotional and mental health.
Suppose you or someone you care about is struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, and you need a family addiction treatment program in Massachusetts. In that case, Rockland Recovery is ready to support you. The understanding and support that a person’s family provides can make a huge difference throughout recovery. At Rockland Recovery, connection is the opposite of addiction. We offer a family program to get each client’s family and friends involved in their recovery. Don’t hesitate to connect directly with the addiction experts at Rockland Recovery. We are ready and available to answer your questions about our programs if you call us at 855.732.4842.
What Is a Family Program?
The bulk of an addiction treatment program will revolve around individual therapy, where the client has one-on-one sessions with a counselor or therapist. In contrast, family programs bring together couples, parents and children, and other family groups so that everyone can be involved in the psychological and emotional healing of the client. Most family programs will involve talk therapy in much the same way as individual therapy. Still, much time can be devoted to teaching family members and loved ones about the client’s situation and how addiction has affected them.
Since each different family will have a different experience with a loved one’s addiction, there are numerous types of family programs, including:
- Behavioral couples therapy
- Family recovery support groups
- Functional family therapy
- Multidimensional family therapy
Many family programs are also tailored to a specific family and community’s needs, as addiction greatly affects a client’s relationships.
What To Expect in a Family Program
Despite being generally similar in application to individual therapy, family programs can have a very different perspective on family relationships. During a family program:
- Expect the mental health expert to have a wider perspective – The therapist or counselor will view the family unit as an interconnected whole or system and will consider the welfare of all members of the family, whether or not they are present.
- Expect sessions to focus on better interactions rather than fixes – Often, families will want the therapist or counselor to provide them with easy answers for how to fix all the relationship problems in the family. The mental health professional helping the family is not there to dispense solutions but to guide the family members in creating more functional and honest relationships.
- Expect the mental health expert to educate the family about the client’s addiction – There is a stigma associated with addiction, and family members are often not knowledgeable about the clinical understanding of how addiction works. It is a disease that can be treated and is often not a personal failure or weakness. Educating the family members can give them a new perspective on their loved one’s struggle and help them empathize.
During a family program, it is important that each member feels that they have been heard, that their therapist is empathic and understanding, and that the family and client have a real chance for a brighter future in recovery.
Contact Rockland Recovery for a Family Addiction Treatment Program in Massachusetts
If you’ve been searching for a family program in Massachusetts, you need to look no further than Rockland Recovery. We are committed to helping individuals recognize, address, and overcome substance abuse with the support of their closest family members and loved ones. We offer a wide range of comprehensive addiction treatment programs that can be customized to fit each client’s needs. To learn more about how we can help, contact us at 855.732.4842.