Millions of Americans experience addiction and associated mental health conditions every year. Those struggling with substance use and mental health disorders often search for relief from their symptoms. Thanks to advancements in medical knowledge, a wide range of therapies and treatments are offered for both addiction and mental health issues. One of the newer procedures is called stellate ganglion block, and this promising treatment is beginning to be offered in more treatment centers around the country. Learning about the benefits of stellate ganglion block can help people make an informed decision regarding their treatment.
If you are looking for stellate ganglion block treatment in Massachusetts, the Rockland Recovery treatment center in Weymouth, MA, has exactly what you need. We are a trusted addiction treatment provider, and our staff members are committed to helping clients and their families throughout recovery. Our treatment center offers a safe, stable, and supportive environment for men and women to begin the first steps toward sobriety and a better life. We understand addiction is a disease and structure our programs around the needs of each client, giving them the best chance of success in long-term recovery. If you’d like to learn more, contact our admissions team at 855.732.4842, and they can answer any questions about our programs.
What is Stellate Ganglion Block?
Stellate ganglion block is administered as an anesthetic injection into the neck near the bundle of nerves, called the stellate ganglion, that controls a client’s sympathetic nervous system. This treatment is meant to block or impede the activity of an overactive or malfunctioning sympathetic nervous system. People who experience anxiety or extremely high levels of stress with no clear-cut cause often have a hyperactive sympathetic nervous system since this same system is responsible for a person’s “fight or flight” response. The heightened state of awareness during anxiety is mainly controlled by the sympathetic nervous system and can cause:
- Elevated heart rate
- Tremors and restlessness
- Upset stomach and poor digestion
- High blood pressure
The client undergoing treatment will often receive a local anesthetic before a second needle containing the medication is inserted into the neck. The doctor administering this treatment will use ultrasound guidance to place the needle containing the medication exactly where it needs to go, and clients will usually feel the medication’s full effect within 15 to 30 minutes of the injection. While the local anesthetic will wear off within a couple of hours, the effects of stellate ganglion block can last weeks, months, or even years.
5 Benefits of Stellate Ganglion Block
While traditional treatments are available for addiction and anxiety disorders, stellate ganglion block can be effective for those who cannot get relief from their symptoms through traditional options. Some of the main benefits of stellate ganglion block treatment include the following:
- It Is Easy To Administer: Stellate ganglion block is an outpatient procedure and can be administered within 15 minutes. This means clients can almost immediately go home after the procedure without spending money on inpatient treatment.
- It Has Little to No Side Effects: All medical procedures carry some risk; the same goes for the stellate ganglion block procedure. However, the main risks are similar to those of any normal injection, with the main complaints being soreness or tenderness at the injection site.
- It Is Fast-Acting: The quick efficacy of the treatment means that doctors can determine almost immediately whether or not the treatment was successful. Recovery time is also minimized, allowing the client to return to their daily life soon after treatment.
- It Helps Diagnose Other Conditions: Whether or not stellate ganglion block works for the client, it can be useful in determining the root cause of the client’s symptoms. If the symptoms are not responsive to sympathetic blocks, this knowledge can be of diagnostic value, and the doctor administering the treatment can verify this information immediately after the procedure.
- It Helps Reduce Anxiety Symptoms: Studies show that stellate ganglion block is effective for many clients in relieving symptoms such as hyperarousal, anxiety, and exaggerated fear responses.
Contact Rockland Recovery for Stellate Ganglion Block Treatment in Massachusetts
When used within a comprehensive approach to treating addiction, this procedure can help clients achieve long-lasting recovery. The brain gets a chance to reset after the stellate ganglion block relieves chronic symptoms of anxiety. This helps set up clients for success, as they become more resilient to life stresses and can better resist the urge to return to using substances. However, at Rockland Recovery, stellate ganglion block is only used within comprehensive treatment plans, so clients will need to work with their physician and addiction specialist to determine whether this treatment is a good fit for their needs. To speak to one of our addiction experts, contact us at 855.732.4842, and we’ll be happy to answer your questions about our treatment modalities.